Table of Contents
How do drums get big sounding?
- Compression. There are a few different ways that you can use compression in order to make your drums mix sound bigger and more full.
- EQ. When diving into the EQ, you should consider what you want your drums to sound like.
- Picking the Right Sample.
How do you change the loudness of a drum?
Here are a few simple changes that can increase your drumming volume.
- Hit in the middle of the head.
- Play rimshots.
- Play heel-up on the kick drum pedal.
- Use larger sticks.
- Use a combination of your wrist and arm.
How do you get a punchy kick drum?
How To Get A Punchy Kick On Every Mix
- Choose the right kick sample.
- Use EQ to fatten/tighten up the kick.
- Use Compression to make the kick punchy.
- Make Sure Your Kick Sample Is In Mono.
- Use Sidechain Compression To Give Space To Your Kick.
How can I make my drum kit quieter?
- Use an Electronic Drum Kit.
- Invest in some Low Volume Cymbals.
- Fit mesh drum heads on to your acoustic kit.
- Replace your sticks with brushes or hotrods.
- Dampen or Muffle your bass drum using everyday household objects.
- Use a set of practice pads on your acoustic kit.
- Avoid the myths of soundproofing.
How do drums make different sounds?
The skin of the drum vibrates and makes the confetti dance. As the air molecules vibrate against each other, sound waves are formed and the sound of the drums can be heard. Fran explains that the pitch of a drum depends on how tight its skin is. Hit a drum hard and this makes big vibrations and a loud sound.
How does the shape of an instrument affect the sound?
Although the pitch (how high or low a sound is) will be the same, a particular note sounds different on different instruments because they produce sound waves with different patterns (shapes and sizes). Bigger instruments tend to make lower and louder notes than small ones.
How can I reduce the noise from my drum kit?
Another way to reduce kit noise is to use specialty, low volume cymbals. (luckily, drum manufacturers knew that some drummers would annoy the piss out of their neighbors so they gave us many great alternatives to avoid conflict :)).
How many decibels does an acoustic drum set make?
How loud is a drum set? An acoustic drum set will be between 100-120 decibels depending on the force being exerted on the drums. Electronic drums will be much quieter as the noise will come from stick tapping but stomping can still be an issue.
Which is quieter a drum kit or an electronic drum kit?
Electronic drums will be much quieter as the noise will come from stick tapping but stomping can still be an issue. There are many variables to the numbers I listed above. In addition to how hard the drums are being played, different parts of the kit will still be a little quieter or louder than others.
What makes a drum set vary in volume?
Not only do you have drummers (and drums/heads/sticks/cymbals) that vary in volume, you also have factors such as the room you’re in, the device you’re using to measure SPL, how far that device is from the drum set and many other factors which come into play here as well.