Table of Contents
- 1 What is the balanced chemical equation of aspirin?
- 2 How do you make aspirin chemical reaction?
- 3 What type of reaction is the synthesis of aspirin?
- 4 How do you calculate percent purity of aspirin?
- 5 What is the formula use in the calculation of percentage yield in the synthesis of aspirin?
- 6 What is the formula for calculating percentage purity?
- 7 How do you calculate aspirin percentage?
- 8 How is aspirin percentage calculated?
- 9 What is the full chemical equation of aspirin?
- 10 How to calculate the theoretical yield of aspirin?
- 11 What is the molecular structure of aspirin?
What is the balanced chemical equation of aspirin?
The balanced equation is: C4H6O3+C7H6O3→C9H8O4+C2H4O2.In a laboratory synthesis, a student begins with 5.00 mL of acetic anhydride (density = 1.08 g / mL) and 2.08 g of salicylic acid. Once the reaction is complete, the student collects 2.47g of aspirin.
How do you make aspirin chemical reaction?
To prepare aspirin, salicylic acid is reacted with an excess of acetic anhydride. A small amount of a strong acid is used as a catalyst which speeds up the reaction. In this experiment, phosphoric acid will be used as the catalyst. The excess acetic acid will be quenched with the addition of water.
How do you calculate aspirin yield?
Using the theoretical and actual you can calculate percent yield.
- Actual Yield of Aspirin in lab after filtered/dried (mock value) = 370 g.
- Mass of Theoretical Yield of Aspirin (mock value) = 360.3 g.
- Percent Yield = (Actual ÷ Theoretical) x 100 = (370 ÷ 360.3) x 100 = 103 %
What type of reaction is the synthesis of aspirin?
The synthesis of aspirin is known in organic chemistry as an esterification reaction. This is a substitution reaction in which an alcohol (the –OH group in salicylic acid) reacts with acetic anhydride to form an ester, aspirin.
How do you calculate percent purity of aspirin?
So when I workout the percentage purity of my aspirin, it works out to be 106.8%. I use the formula: (actual moles/theoretical moles) X 100.
What is the yield of aspirin?
A total of 2.169 grams of pure aspirin was synthesize out of a possible yield of 2.52 grams. Thus, there was 86.07% product yield. Acetylation of salicylic acid makes aspirin less acidic and therefore less damaging to the digestive system of the human body.
What is the formula use in the calculation of percentage yield in the synthesis of aspirin?
Example: Start with 0.027moles of aspirin (limiting reagent) going to 0.027moles of salicylic acid. 3. Divide the number of grams of product obtained experimentally, by the number of grams obtained in the theoretical yield calculations and multiply by 100 to calculate the percent yield.
What is the formula for calculating percentage purity?
Percentage purity of a substance can be calculated by dividing the mass of the pure chemical by the total mass of the sample, and then multiplying this number by 100.
What is the purity of aspirin?
The melting point range for the acetylsalicylic acid obtained is 144°C-172°C, it is because it contains impurities. The theoretical yield of aspirin is 2.628g, but the actual yield of aspirin obtained is 0.8953g. therefore, the percentage yield of aspirin is 34.07%.
How do you calculate aspirin percentage?
* The weight of one aspirin tablet was calculated by working out the molecular weight of aspirin and multiplying it by the number of moles of aspirin used, to find the weight of the sample of aspirin used in the experiment; and then dividing it by the number of tablets in the sample.
How is aspirin percentage calculated?
How do you test the purity of aspirin?
Because today’s aspirin is mass produced in tablet form, Spectrophotometers are a reliable and economical way to keep the purity of Aspirin consistent throughout the manufacturing process. The purity and amount of acetylsalicylic acid in aspirin can be measured using a Visual Spectrophotometer.
What is the full chemical equation of aspirin?
The formula of the chemical compound aspirin is C9H8O4
How to calculate the theoretical yield of aspirin?
Calculating relative molecular mass from the relative atomic mass. We know that 1 mole of salicylic acid is = 138 Grams. So, 100 grams = (100/138) which equals 0.725 moles. As we know, 1 mole of Aspirin is obtained from 1 mole of salicylic acid, therefore, 0.725 moles of Aspirin will be obtained from 0.725 moles of salicylic
What is the mechanism of aspirin synthesis?
The synthesis of aspirin is classified as an esterification reaction. Salicylic acid is treated with acetic anhydride, an acid derivative, causing a chemical reaction that turns salicylic acid’s hydroxyl group into an ester group (R-OH → R-OCOCH3).
What is the molecular structure of aspirin?
Aspirin, which the chemical name acetylsalicylic acid (ASA), is medication extensively used around the world as an anti-inflammatory and anti-pyretic. Formula and structure: The acetylsalicylic acid chemical formula is C 9H 8O4 and the extended formula is CH 3COOC 6H 4COOH. The molecular mass is 180.159 g mol -1.